In the land down under, it’s known as the Brumby. Here in North America, it’s affectionately known as the BRAT (Bi-drive Recreational All-terrain Transporter). Its name is derived from the economy and dependability of full-time, front-wheel drive with the added benefit of on-the-fly, all-wheel-drive, and four-wheel independent suspension.
Just envision yourself driving this little rig to your favorite beach, hunting spot, or ice fishing location! While at the same time, owning a vehicle that is economical and practical enough for your daily commute!
This vehicle is a 1984 model featuring a 1.8L EA-81 engine, manual transmission, and dual-range transfer case. It’s undergone several desirable upgrades, all of which were performed by professionals.
· The engine was rebuilt by RAM Racing Engines in Blackstock, South Carolina. It’s now fuel injected and controlled by a Simple Digital System EM-5.
· The 4-speed manual transmission was replaced with a later model 5-speed, which still maintains the Hi/Lo range 4WD options.
· The front strut setup was changed to coil-overs and was manufactured by Ground Control in Shingle Springs, California.
· The body received a 4-inch lift. However, none of the body panels or wheel wells were cut out for the modification so the vehicle could be taken back to the original ride height, if desired.
· It currently sits on 16-inch Toyota 6-lug rims. However, the original 13-inch rims are included in the sale.
BRATs are extremely rare in the Midwest, particularly in such good overall condition and with the upgrades already done.
The body is in great overall condition. There are typical BRAT rust spots in the bed, one spot on the tailgate, and another on the driver’s side door. The paint and decals are in excellent condition. The seats have been reupholstered and are in excellent shape. The carpet is still original without blemishes. The rear sliding windows and removable T-tops work as they should. The radio has been replaced, however the original AM/FM radio which matches the blue console is included in the sale. The tow hitch and front brush guard are both original factory options. Also included is a Vista brand bed topper and two pairs of jump seats, each with their own set of seat belts.
The BRAT starts, runs, drives and shifts well. However, there does appear to be a short or other electrical issue that sometimes interferes with starting or operating. On those occasions, it appears that the vehicle is running on the battery; however, we replaced the alternator and the issue still occurs. Thus, if you’re purchasing from outside the area, we recommend that you arrange for towing or trailering of the vehicle.
With all the work and upgrades already done and just a bit more effort, this one-of-a-kind little rig would be nearly perfect!
AS IS – NO WARRANTY
This vehicle is being sold as is, with no warranty expressed, written or implied.
More info: Click here to see original eBay auction and get more information (Affiliate link)
Seller's other items: techreviewer
Location: Rhinelander, Wisconsin, United States